A Team That Cares
As a credit union, we’re different than a bank - and we like it that way. Every day, our First Calgary team delivers outstanding financial service and experiences to more than 80,000 members in Calgary and Okotoks. You’re our member, not a number. We’re your neighbours, and your partner.
When you choose to bank with us, you become a member and an owner of a community-oriented financial institution with deep roots, big ideas, and a commitment to doing what’s right.
Helping Communities Prosper
Here’s what a community-focused approach to banking looks like.
$850,240 in total community contributions in 2016
(includes funds leveraged from external stakeholders and in-kind support)
1,547 volunteer hours donated by employees
1st in Alberta to introduce an alternative to high-interest payday loans, with our fast and responsible Cash Crunch Loan
?Did You Know
First Calgary offers three types of grants to non-profit organizations, societies, charities, cooperatives, and social enterprises who shares values that are consistent with our own! In 2016, we provided support to more than 100 community organizations across southern Alberta through these programs.
2016 Community Impact
Community is all of our responsibility. When you’re our member, your money is making a difference – a genuine and lasting contribution to the financial success of your community. Because we’re in this together.
LEARN & EARN SCHOLARSHIP AND MATCHED SAVINGS
Applications closed September 30, 2017
The Learn & Earn Scholarship provides more than just money. Through our matched savings program, we help you establish and reach savings goals, we match those savings, and we provide money management tools for to use throughout life!
- All Grade 12 students are eligible - priority is placed on students who are motivated, have some form of employment, and face financial barriers to achieving their career or education goals.
- Participants take part in a ten-month match savings program.
- First Calgary Financial matches student savings 2:1, to a maximum of $1,000.
Driven by a mission to make money make a difference.
Powered by values of thinking big, acting local, taking charge, and making things easy.
We’re Making Money Make a Difference by building strong local economies with proud communities. For us, this is the best way to create shared value. When our members and communities succeed, their credit union succeeds.
Our values guide First Calgary’s community investment decisions:
- Think Big: We dream of the possibilities, and then make it happen. We think bigger and seek out the right way to make large and meaningful local impacts.
- Act Local: We identify the most pressing local challenges, finding ways to be part of the solution. Employees get involved and volunteer with their local community organizations.
- Take Charge: We’re pro-active in developing partnerships that positively impact both the community and the business, and that align with our values and community pillars.
- Make it Easy: Plain & simple – our staff find opportunities to help in ways that make sense, and allow First Calgary Financial to make a genuine and lasting contribution to the financial success of our local communities.
To deliver the highest possible impact, we provide support to initiatives that align with our four community pillars:
Build community pride and revitalization:
- Help volunteers to build vibrant communities and foster civic pride
- Help neighbours or local businesses stay connected and supportive of each other
- Encourage community renewal and revitalization (such as beautifying neighbourhood spaces)
Support entrepreneurship & skills training:
- Create economic opportunity by providing access to training, resources or skills needed to become gainfully employed, self-employed, and financially sustainable
- Support entrepreneurs to start or grow their own locally-based businesses
Provide financial education and inclusion:
- Help citizens increase their financial knowledge, skills and confidence so they are able to better manage their money
- Seek innovative ways to serve the ‘under banked’ by increasing access to mainstream financial service offerings
- Work to build solutions to increase affordable, accessible and stable housing options for our citizens in need
Partnerships That Deliver
Proud 2016 Partner of:
RAD (Residential Accessible Design) Program
For Calgarians with disabilities, homelessness is a very real threat. We’re helping people safely stay in their homes with the RAD Renovations team, through:
- Interest-free bridge financing to get the projects started as soon as provincial grant funds are approved
- Philanthropic investment into the RAD program
- Employee volunteers to help the renovation efforts
with The Calgary Foundation
Have a fun project idea that would benefit your local community? Need some funds to bring it to life? These micro-grants of $100 to $600 help you undertake creative projects build a sense of neighborliness and community pride. From knitting circles and bike swaps to free family carnivals raising awareness about local poverty, let your imaginations fly!
Cash Crunch Loan, with Momentum
The payday lending industry is hurting our working poor. Bad debt cycles from high-interest small loans cause unnecessary financial stress on our most vulnerable population. Through a community loan-referral program with Momentum, we’ve built innovative solutions get people out destructive payday loan debt, and onto a sustainable debt repayment schedule. As a result of our collaboration, we were the first financial institution in Alberta to introduce an alternative to payday loans for the under banked, with our fast and responsible Cash Crunch Loan.
Sponsorships That Deliver
Proud 2016 Sponsor of:
As part of our commitment to Acting Local, we’re dedicated to volunteer success, sponsoring our community partners’ volunteer teams. Every event requires the help of these local, engaged teams who care a lot about the social fabric of our communities. Our support of volunteers includes:
- Sled Island’s Volunteer Program
- GlobalFest’s Volunteer Program
- Calgary Underground Film Festival’s Volunteer Program
People and businesses that drive local change generate momentum, community dialogue on important subject matter, and a positive economic impact for our communities. We’re proud to lend our support to recognizing those who make our city great through their relentless energy to push boundaries, and passion and resilience to make ideas become realities. Our support includes: