MAKING MONEY MAKE A DIFFERENCE
We serve the greater Calgary area, and have been passionately helping our members achieve their financial goals and dreams while strengthening communities for over 75 years. It’s something we’re proud of.
Our members are people, not numbers. Our communities are homes, not places. Connecting the dots between life goals, community and banking is in our DNA. We believe in doing things just a little bit differently. It’s who we are.
Community is all of our responsibility. When you’re our member, your money is making a difference – a genuine and lasting contribution to the financial success of Calgary.
Because we’re in this together.
Bank with us and make your money make a difference in Calgary!
In 2016 we’re making an impact in Calgary by supporting initiatives that:
Build community pride and revitalization:
- Help volunteers to build vibrant communities and foster civic pride
- Help neighbours or local businesses stay connected and supportive of each other
- Encourage community renewal and revitalization (such as beautifying neighbourhood spaces)
Support entrepreneurship & skills training:
- Create economic opportunity by providing access to training, resources or skills needed to become gainfully employed, self-employed, and financially sustainable
- Support entrepreneurs to start or grow their own locally-based businesses
- Help citizens increase their financial knowledge, skills and confidence so they are able to better manage their money
- Seek innovative ways to serve the ‘under banked’ by increasing access to mainstream financial service offerings
- Work to build solutions to increase affordable, accessible and stable housing options for our citizens in need
2015 by the numbers:
- $648,932 invested in +110 community organizations
- $28,013 given by employees to non-profit organizations
- 278 employees gave 973 hours to local initiatives, during work time
And some powerful partnerships:
59 members became first-time home-owners through the Attainable Home Ownership Program.
24 resident-led community building projects were funded through the Stepping Stones grassroots grant program with The Calgary Foundation.
61 low-income Calgarians saved over $200,000 in interest payments and avoided payday loans through our innovative Cash Crunch Loan with Momentum.
480 Calgarians moved out of homelessness through our no-interest line of credit financing of six affordable housing projects with the Calgary Homeless Foundation Evergreen Line of Credit.
LEARN & EARN SCHOLARSHIP AND MATCHED SAVINGS
Applications Now Closed! Next applications in September 2017.
We’re proud to offer a scholarship that provides more than just money. Through our matched savings program, we help you establish and reach savings goals, match those savings and provide tools to use throughout life!
- All Grade 12 students are eligible - priority is placed on students who are motivated, have some form of employment, and face financial barriers to achieving their career or education goals.
- Participants take part in a ten-month match savings program.
- First Calgary Financial will match savings 2:1, to a maximum of $1,000.
We're proudly partnering with:
Accessible Housing: RAD (Residential Accessible Design) program
For Calgarians with disabilities, homelessness is a very real threat. We’re helping people safely stay in their homes with the RAD Renovations team, through:
- Interest-free bridge financing to get the projects started as soon as provincial grant funds are approved
- Philanthropic investment into the RAD program
- Employee volunteers to help the renovation efforts
Stepping Stones grassroots grant program with The Calgary Foundation
Have a fun project idea that would benefit your local community? Need some funds to bring it to life? These micro-grants of $100 to $600 help you undertake creative projects build a sense of neighborliness and community pride! Apply Now
From knitting circles and bike swaps to free family carnivals raising awareness about local poverty, let your imaginations fly! Apply Now
The pay day lending industry is hurting our working poor. Bad debt cycles from high-interest small loans cause unnecessary financial stress on our most vulnerable population.
Through a community loan-referral program with Momentum, we’re building innovative solutions get people out destructive payday loan debt, and onto a sustainable debt repayment schedule.
We’re proud members of:
We’re active contributors to:
Join us in supporting these awesome local happenings:
- January 1-31: One Yellow Rabbit and the High Performance Rodeo’s 30 songs project.
- April 23, May 7, May 28 and June 25: Rain Barrel and Composter sales with Green Calgary in our parking lots! Learn More
- June 22-26: Sled Island – helping you get from show to show on your trusty bicycle as the festival’s bike program sponsor.
- July 24-24: Calgary Folk Music Festival – keeping Calgary green in our 10th year of supporting this fabulous weekend through the Eco-initiatives program, reducing festival’s waste and carbon footprint.
- November: REAP’s Calgary’s Be Local Awards are not to be missed! And we’re a proud presenting sponsor.